 Marketplace / Shopping / 1280
Re: TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 16:04:32 GMT

You guys remember the Child World/Children's Palace chain that I think died
out about 9 years ago (That's the last time I remember seeing one). They were
great for so many reasons. They got some weird import toys in, actually marked
their prices down on stuff that sat on the shelf too long (the way KB does-
for all their high prices, you have to admit that KB really knows how to mark
stuff down!) and they always had stuff that was old and dusty and still on
shelves. In 1990 at a CP in Cincinnati I found all three of the ORIGINAL Tomy
ZOIDS sets dated like 1981 or something! I also found their, get ready,
MICRONAUTS!!! IN 1990!! Also, two MEGO Spiderman dolls dated late 70's. It was
really a very cool, though sort of surreal experience, to think that these
things had been sitting on a shelf at a chain store for 10 years.

Man, I miss that store.

Child World really was a great store it was my favorite toy store growing up.

I think one of the reasons you found so much old stuff in 1990 though was
probably because they were hurting finacially and were emptying their
warehouses.  Like many large warehouses odd cases of stuff often get lost or
hidden on high racks in the back of the warehouse.  As they started liquidating
inventory they probably found some of this lost stock that they probably did
not even know they had and put it on the shelves.

That would be my guess.

Eric K.

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/