 Marketplace / Shopping / 1278
Re: TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 15:44:02 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Ray Sanders writes:

Which goes directly to my point, the numbers in an online inventory
system (for anything smaller than autos or rocket ships) should always
be viewed with some expectation of being off a little. All those
computer-based inventories for TRUs, KMs, WMs, etc, may be off in small
ways. Humor: when a TRU tries to tell me that stock on an item is -1. [hehehe]

Ray

I used to work at a bookstore, and we had that problem all the time. There were
times when the inventory said 0, or -1 and we had one sitting on the shelf.
There were also plenty of times when the inventory said 1 or 2 and we couldn't
find it anywhere. We were always supposed to take the time to go look and make
sure the particular book was (or was not) on the shelf. The problems with TRU
stem from the quasi-monopoly that they have in the toy market. Here in the NE
section of the US, TRU's only real competitors are Zany Brainy's (which are
only in the 'burbs at this point) and Kay-Bee (which tend to be overpriced).
Until another store pops up that can sufficiently rival TRU, they're going to
be as rude and lacking in customer service as they are now.
-Jonathan