 Off-Topic / Debate / 23605
Re: Sheikh Yassin
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 19:35:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz wrote:

"Pedro Silva" <el_gordo@netc.pt> wrote in message
1) When exactly is a country in a "state of war" with an organization or entity?
It's clearly not legitimate to preemptively go after every organization or
entity that's inimical to you merely because they have different views, but if
an entity or organization declares that it wants your country completely
obliterated, has that organization "declared war" on you? Do they have to act
first? How much do they need to do? Can you be at war with an organization that
doesn't in and of itself control territory? If the answers to the above are yes,
what does that mean, exactly? (1)

I am of the opinion one can not fight a war against a non-territorial entity,
but I will admit this can be resumed to a matter of semantics. "War" is used
because it's universally understood, so ultimately it may be a good metaphor.
The begining of said war does not necesarily have to be declared (in the 19th
century sense), but there must be a situation where the area in conflict is no
longer under the rule of law, "de facto". War begins when the law ends, to be
short.

Hmm, do any historical wars meet this "no longer under the rule of law"
condition?

All? It's just a wild guess. Of course both sides of a war will present
arguments saying they're right, so they won't be of much help.
Wars usually begin once conflicting interests can no longer be settled thru
diplomatic channels, which are legal forms to settle disputes not covered by
generalist, universal laws. A diplomatic treaty would under this interpretation
be considered as equivalent to a law that can settle a dispute between the
signataries.

I'm under the impression that most militaries have a rule of law
within themselves, so I'm not even sure that the theater of operation
technically is no longer under the rule of law.

Military laws aren't the same as civilian laws (by definition), and are not
universally apliable during a war; since they are side-specific, such laws have
little meaning.

Also, whose rule of law
counts?

Precisely. Prior to the conflict that question is unnecessary.

2) What constitutes assassination versus carrying out the operations of war? In
a conventional war (against a country) is targeting the command and control
center of that country off limits because the leader might be there? If you hit
that center and the leader was killed, is that in and of itself assassination?

Assassination would presume a deliberate intention to kill one particular
individual (or group, if all members are specified). If non-specified people die
in the event, those would be victims of a particularly bad assassination
achievement.
War is (under conventional meaning) fought between nations/factions, not
individuals. So an act of war would be shooting against the soldier across the
sight, whilst not really caring for his identity.

3) Is there ever a situation in which assassination is justified? If you're
already at war with a country, is it a military action to assassinate the leader
of that country? There were people during the run up to the recent Iraq war
calling for us to assassinate Saddam rather than start a big war. Were they
correct? If your answer is no, what if the only other alternative was the war?

I think assassination is sometimes a justified possibility, yes. But it need two
pre-requisites fulfilled:
#1 - the war in question must be susceptible of resolution if the leader is
changed, that is, the said war is being fought largely due to the leader's
charisma or well orchestrated manipulation;
#2 - the assassin must be able to withstand the backlash of his actions. Taking
the recent case of Israel & Yassin as an example, the israeli government should
be able to "hold steady" even after the more than likely bus bombs that will
ensue (of course, if the bombings are kept for a long period of time, then the
assassination was innefective in its declared goals...)

Naturally, I'm assuming the responsability for the order to assassinate is
issued by a collective of politicians, hopefully elected or otherwise
accountable. If one man alone decided to kill another man, that would be murder,
pure and simple.

Hmm, so is any military targetting of identified persons of leadership an
assasination?

Technically, yes.

Must all such operations be initiated by politicians?

It's ultimately a matter of ethics; I would expect this to be the case under a
representative form of government, hopefully preventing abuses.

Can a
soldier who happens to have a shot at an enemy leader take that shot?

It depends on his orders, I guess. If he has been given the power to take the
iniciative, he can; otherwise, it's up to him to weight his options (risking
court martial, perhaps?).
At this point I feel a need to argue it would be tremendously weird for such
situation to take place without specific orders to shoot... I mean, infitration
to that level is usually backed by very clear orders.

I personally would define assasination as an attempt to kill a person in a
position of leadership from power outside the normal bounds of war.

Why?

Good questions, IMO. I must say some of them had been crossing my mind lately,
especially since I stated earlier that I would have no problem in having Saddam
shot last year.
The doubts I have in the particular case of Sheik Yassin don't have to do with
the declared motive for the killing (him being a source of inspiration for
terrorists), rather with the process that led to his assassination. After all,
the man had been released from prison by his future executioners!

Hmm, does releasing someone from prison grant them immunity from future
action?

No.

Certainly if an individual is released and they commit new crimes or
acts of war, they lose any immunity.

Certainly.

I'm also inclined to think that once
released one is mostly immune from prosecution for the crimes or acts of war
that resulted in the imprisonment, though it is reasonable in some cases to
release someone with conditions, which can include parole (where we let
someone out early because we think they have shaped up their life).

I'm inclined to agree.
In the particular case of Sheik Yassin though, since he was NOT released on
parole nor he ever advocated anything other than violent action against Israel,
I see no reason for his release. Why release him then? Please note that I did
not say he was not a legitimate target "per se": I am only baffled as to why he
was released and later blown to smithereens. Was he too costly in jail? Did his
prison lack wheelchair ramps? What?

1 - I'm uncomfortable with the notion that we (the US in particular) are
fighting a "war on drugs". What does that mean? Who are we at war with? Did they
declare war on us? Ditto for the "war on terror"...

Maybe I'd use the word "embargo" on drugs (it's a tradable good, isn't it? Why
not choose a word that comes from the customs' context?) and use the word
"policing" towards terrorism. To do this I will draw a distinction between
political assassination and terrorism, in which the first is aimed at one
identified target with political importance and the second is indiscriminate
(thus aimed at causing fear among the general public). Terrorism should as such
be treated the same way as murder (read: as a police matter)

Terrorism is a very hard thing to define. It's all to easy to lump all
participants in a war as terrorists, which simply brushes aside any rational
discussion of the merits or lack thereof of any violent action.

I agree with the second sentence, but regarding the first I checked a very old
dictionary I have and came up with a pretty short definition for terrorism: "act
to rule thru fear and violent action".

Pedro