 Off-Topic / Debate / 23601
Re: Sheikh Yassin
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 17:49:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz wrote:

Terrorism is a very hard thing to define. It’s all to easy to lump all participants in a war as terrorists, which simply brushes aside any rational discussion of the merits or lack thereof of any violent action.

I don’t think terrorism is hard to define-- it’s just that people use the term incorrectly or indiscriminately and therefore its definition is muddied.

Terrorism is the targeted killing of innocent civilians by a person or group in order to forward an agenda. So by that definition, it is not possible to “terrorize” another army, because they are not civilian. There is no terrorism in war, unless one participant purposefully targets the other’s civilian population. In former times, these lines were admittedly blurred because of inadequate technology. In WWII, we dropped bombs “indiscriminately”, but the intent was to take out factories and infastructure, not kill civilians (though many were killed). One could argue that the result was the same if we sent in an army who entered a city on foot and shot civilians, but I reject the equivalence.

Bringing this idea back to the killing of Yassin-- the Hamas have now declared they might target Sharon My response is “bring it on”. Your targets should be military ones. Target soldiers, not children. And after they try to kill Sharon (and God willing, fail), I hope it finally galvanizes Israel to wage all out war on Hamas and all of the other terrorist groups “representing” the Palestinians. Because, ironically, Israel’s restraint has only perpetuated this conflict, much in the same way our restraint in Viet Nam led to quagmire. There is no reason why this struggle for statehood for the Palestinians should have taken this long. What struggle is there? Just declare your state and go about your business! Instead, Palestinian leaders disingenuously quibble about trivialities such as minor border placements, when the reality is that they want the Jews gone from the Middle East.

JOHN