 Off-Topic / Debate / 23606
Re: Sheikh Yassin
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 21:43:20 GMT

"Pedro Silva" <el_gordo@netc.pt> wrote in message
news:Hv3IF7.BuF@lugnet.com...
I agree with the second sentence, but regarding the first I checked a very • old
dictionary I have and came up with a pretty short definition for • terrorism: "act
to rule thru fear and violent action".

Hmm, by that definition, almost all acts of war are acts of terrorism. It is
not practical in a military action to eliminate all opposing forces by
killing, so the goal is generally to break morale, which seems like "fear
and violent action." Either that, or if the "to rule" part is really
important, than I don't think many of what most of us seem to agree are acts
of terrorism are (the folks who flew aircraft into buildings certainly
weren't trying to "rule" anyone, though they certainly wanted to cause
fear).

This is my problem, I just don't see any reasonable definition of terrorism
that includes flying aircraft into buildings and does not include most acts
of war. Ultimately, it comes down to which side do you think has the moral
high ground.

Frank