 Off-Topic / Debate / 23604
Re: The Parable ot the Tortured Debtor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 20:37:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:

My desire was to approach the Bible without any later
theology attached to it -- to just take it at face value.
I still try to
maintain the approach toward the Bible of someone just reading the it for the
first time, someone without later theological knowledge of "how to properly
interpret the stories".

In some ways I think this is a really good idea.  OTOH, scholarship is not
simply indoctrination--understanding of the culture the text was written in is
also very important.  For instance, if I read Shakespeare with no external
sources, I'll get a good story.  External sources can add to that enjoyment, but
there are two types of external sources.  There is the type that says "This is
the TRUE theme of this play as agreed upon by all intelligent people (i.e.
professors of English literature), and you must interpret these
characters/speeches/actions in a particular manner.  On the other hand there are
external sources that tell you about the history of King Henry V that
Shakespeare drew upon, the meaning of this word that is now obscure, the
political situation of the day that colors why Shakespeare wanted to show the
house of the current king in a good light, etc.  This type of source material
could really aid the understanding and enjoyment of a particular play.  So to
with biblical scholarship.

It must be noted, however, that once you draw upon contextual and historical
guidelines to interpret an author's work, you are by definition no longer
reading the work but are instead infusing it with material external to the
work.  Even attempts to divine an author's "intent" are doomed from the outset
if they draw upon external sources rather than what's in the primary work
itself.

Granted, it is generally difficult to divorce a work from its prejudicial
context, but it's not impossible:  If a transcript the text of The Tempest were
for without any indicator of authorship and with no reliable way to place it as
early 17th century, would it change the merits of the work?  If so, then why?

I would submit that Brendan's transcription of biblical verse is very true to
the text and is commendably uninfluenced by subsequent centuries of directed
interpretation.

I suspect that the straightforward set of rules for living would not have
inspired the Sistine Chapel, the Hallaleuia Chorus, and the Brick Testament,
much less a religion that affected anyone's lives.

It might be pointed out at this juncture that the Sistine Chapel was a
commissioned work, and it's not as though the great religious artists and
composers of the past really had much latitude for creating any kinds of works
they desired!

Seems that any individual should just be able to pick it up and
read it and glean knowledge without needing other people to come in and tell
them "what the stories *really* mean".

Again, I agree and disagree.  I challenge you to write the one book that
explains all of science, or even simply all of organic chemistry, that anyone
could come along and pick and completely grok without any assistance.

Well, if an author claims that his science textbook is divinely inspired, then
that book better be either divinely comprehensive or divinely correct.  And, if
the stakes are infinitely higher (i.e., involving the disposition of one's
immortal soul), then the book's meaning had be pretty darned accessible, too.
Surely an infinite being could write such a book?

What is
more complex--the reactions of carbon-based compounds, or all of human
relationships, morality, society, spirituality, etc.?

I would argue that they're one and the same, actually...

Dave!