 Off-Topic / Debate / 20859
Re: Sex Scandal: U.S. President had sex with Intern!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2003 15:29:40 GMT

Sorry to burst your bubble, John; but I know gay men that attend a Catholic
church regularly.

Sorry to burst yours, but they aren't married (by the Catholic church).

And why is that?  Why should the "church" tell two people, who want to live
in the institution of marriage, that they can't just because those two folks
are of the same sex?

They can do whatever they want.  It's just that the Church doesn't sanction it.

Where in the teachings of Jesus does it say, "Marriage
is good for these people over here, but not for those people over there"?

Read Matthew 19:3-12

It's akin to my co-worker (who isn't gay, mind you--this is a tangent) who
is Catholic, but is "separated" from his first wife.  Since you can't get
married after a divorce in the Catholic church, basically the church is
"forcing" my co-worker to 'live in sin' with his new partner in life.

Shoot the messenger, uh?  If it is too intolerable for him to be a Catholic and
abide by its teachings, he should be honest and leave the church.  He wants his
cake and to eat it, too.  Choices.

I mean, they are living together but the "church" won't marry them.

Nicely done.

*He* has made a mess of his life, not the Church.

What's this "world" stuff?  We are talking about marriage in the Christian
context.  I don't know what you are talking about.

Marriage in the bigoted, limited, wrong interpretation of what the Bible to
say.

That is wrong and any Christian who believes it is a heretic.  Period.

The Bible shouldn't conform to *us*, we should conform to it.  And I
believe, (and my biblical scholarship isn't as thorough as it should be, but
I did minor in Religion at university a *long* time ago, so my memory's a
little dusty), that the Bible actually mentions that polygamy is as viable a
lifestyle as any other.  And yet todays chruch won't let me have my little
harem.

Dude, you are suffering from full-blown amnesia!

We should all have a way of having our worldview, but also allow the
discussion of ideas that might not necessarily 'jive' with it, and the
ability to adapt the worldview or reject the premise as necessary.
Stubbornly adhering to a disjointed WV or a bad premise are equally "The
plank in your eye".

If you are a Christian, you are buying into a *particular* world view.  You
cannot adhere to certain ideals that are in direct conflict with it (and still
call yourself a Christian).  I cannot profess to be a Christian and believe
that Jesus wasn't the Messiah.  Put it this way: "It's possible, to fit a
Cadillac up your nose, it's just impossible...."

JOHN