 Off-Topic / Debate / 20926
Re: Sex Scandal: U.S. President had sex with Intern!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2003 08:33:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello writes:
First and foremost, I do have core beliefs as to what is right and wrong,
they are based largely on upbringing, religious belief, personal experience,
and the experience of others. I make no apology for my beliefs, nor do I try
to force others by coercion or guilt to follow my beliefs. I am very willing
when asked, and in the case of my closest friends even when not asked, to
offer my opinions based on my core morality.

I think that you probably have an okay approach to the issue -- just as long
as your ideas about right and wrong are qualified by the concept of right
and wrong "for you."  Need I mention the many stupid and pointless sodomy
laws across the country?  You do understand that for many years a bigoted
majority has been deciding from on high what others should or should not be
doing in their bedrooms, right?  Your friend, before he "outed" himself, was
probably working from the assumption that he might be socially ostracized
when people discovered the truth about him. So, when I speak of intolerance
about lifestyle choices, I am speaking from the history of people with your
moral stance on many of these issues.  Just because a legislature will pass
some stupid morality-based statute doesn't make it "right" or even
"constitutional."  I am of the firm belief that what people do together when
they are alone is nobody's business.

BTW, I had a friend for several years that I would occasionally try to fix
up with some single women that I knew -- and this because he was always
professing a desire for various women and so on.  It might not surprise you
that this guy was perpetually single and nothing ever worked out with the
women I fixed him up with. For a long time we thought he might be too picky
or maybe even asexual. Anyway, some years later he began outing himself to
all of his friends.  I was relieved because I had thought he was for some
reason denying himself the very real and pleasant joys of the flesh --
instead he was just figuring himself out.  he was so afraid of rejection.
My total statement to him was something like: "If you can't be gay in San
Francisco, where did you hope to be able to do it and not get hassled?
Anyway, just use protection, we want you around for a good long time.  Have
fun, man!"

I guess what I'd like to ask here is if you would personally use laws to
limit and control the behavior of others.  I can assure you that many
Mormons would have no problem trying to control society if they could.

This last statement has me thinking, perhaps I too am a victim of some level
of intolerance and bigotry.

You probably think I am attacking you periodically -- and in a way, I am.
Why?  Because so often Xtians in particular think it's okay to judge others
by their standards -- John Neal does it to me all the time (in this very
thread!).  Now maybe I am picking the wrong guy to pick on and have some fun
with here, but I have felt put upon enedlessly by Xtians in my life and
frankly I am tired of being polite and patient about it.

You have claimed to be LDS, and I shall take your word for it.  The LDS
church has been at different times bigoted about blacks, remains so about
women, and has all kinds of weird internal ritual and hoopla.  How do I
know?  I was formerly LDS -- but I have recovered almost fully by now, I
think.  I know from the inside that the LDS church thinks it's the "one
true" church and that many of you young men are on a mission from god to
spread the good words of everybody's favorite pals: J.C. and J.S. Frankly, I
can think of nothing more obnoxious than for any group to think of
themselves as the "chosen ones."  It's at least minimally separatist, and
worse it probably creates prejudice against others on an unprecendented
scale -- I mean, if you are chosen then others are by default "not chosen",
right?  Very scary stuff.

Given some of those facts, you might be tolerant but you do also probably
think of yourself as being somewhat inherently superior to others, morally
if in no other way.

I, on the other hand, know I am superior to others but treat others as if I
thought they were my equals. =) Well, unless they are on my ****-list for
some reason, then the kid gloves are off, baby!

-- Hop-Frog