 Off-Topic / Debate / 20870
Re: Pagans and Xtians (was Re: Sex Scandal etc)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2003 22:16:24 GMT

Easter and Xmas are both originally pagan holidays.

This statement is misleading.  Most Christians associate Jesus' resurrection
with the word "Easter".  Obviously, the celebration of the resurrection of
Jesus was never a pagan holiday, although the celebration of the feast to Astre
was.  They are (were) 2 different events.

The same is true for Christmas.  The celebration of the birth of Jesus
*coincides* with the pagan holiday celebrating the Winter solstice.  Many
traditions have been intertwined between the two, but they aren't the same.
The early Church may have decided to celebrate Jesus' birth at the same time
that the pagans were celebrating the Winter solstice to combat it (using the
rationale that on the darkest day of the year was the perfect day to celebrate
God having sent the Light of the world to earth), but, again, they are two
separate events that coincided.

I don't really want to reopen this can of worms with you, and in closing I will
concede this-- in my religious tradition (I'm speaking about the Puritans
here), the celebration of Christmas *was* considered pagan because,
presumabley, because of the proximity between the two.  I personally don't
believe it is for a variety of reasons that I don't really want to discuss (I
plea ploughed ground)

JOHN