 Off-Topic / Debate / 20850
Re: Sex Scandal: U.S. President had sex with Intern!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2003 01:42:11 GMT

Say again?  If you cheat on your wife, no matter how often, then you are a
disgusting pig.

Here's where you have to consider what things mean and weigh your estimate
of people's intelligence and character.

Do you think Hilary Clinton is an idiot that didn't know her husband had a
long string of affairs with other women?  Or is it possible that all of
these things were well understood by her?

From the beginning?  Do you suppose she would have married him in the first
place knowing that he would cheat on her in the future?  I doubt it.

Ever heard of a marriage of
convenience?  Ever seen a couple drift apart but stay together for social
and financial reasons?  Ever known a couple where the participants were more
like good friends than great lovers to each other?

There are more varied relationships between people than is dreamt of in your
philosophy, John Neal.

That may be so, but we are discussing in the context of marriage, and a
Christian marriage at that.  Things are a little less varied than you suppose
them to be.

If you knew the details of my chosen lifestyle you would no doubt conclude
either that I was a disgusting pig, completely amoral, or maybe even kind of
boring.

Seeing as how I know nothing about your personal life, I would say that you
have no justification to comment on any conclusions I may have about it (unless
of course you are married and you cheat on your wife).  And please don't equate
"cheating" to marriages of convenience or some alternative, "open" marriage.
Infidelity is about lying, cheating, and breaking promises.  Nobody I'm aware
tolerates that.

So much depends on you and the manner in which you make your
assessment.  I would guess from what little I know about you that our
respective lifestyles are at least miles apart.  Compared to many other
people I know, my ways are not very exceptional.

I reject your moral relativism, because when all is said and done, it is
dishonesty.

I will say that I value as much honesty as any given situation can tolerate,
and that further I am tactlessly honest almost to a fault.

How can you claim honesty when you've just finished advocating dishonest
behavior?

To each their own.

Well, speaking of the Clintons, how can you claim to know that they are in some
open marriage situation?  I claim to know that they aren't in fact that way if
indeed they were married in a Christian church.  Their fear of a divorce
hurting their political careers is disingenuous and cowardly.

"What a wicked web we weave, when first we practice to deceive."

JOHN