 Off-Topic / Debate / 20875
Re: Pagans and Xtians (was Re: Sex Scandal etc)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2003 23:39:53 GMT

I don't really want to reopen this can of worms with you, and in closing I
will concede this-- in my religious tradition (I'm speaking about the
Puritans here), the celebration of Christmas *was* considered pagan because,
presumabley, because of the proximity between the two.  I personally don't
believe it is for a variety of reasons that I don't really want to discuss (I
plea ploughed ground)

I'm pretty sure it has a lot do with the prohibition concerning idolatry via
the decorating of trees in Jeremiah:

------------------------------------

10:1 Hear ye the word which the LORD speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:
10:2 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not
dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
10:3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of
the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
10:4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and
with hammers, that it move not.
10:5 They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be
borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do
evil, neither also is it in them to do good.
10:6 Forasmuch as there is none like unto thee, O LORD; thou art great, and
thy name is great in might.

------------------------------------

I still it's interesting that you think it's okay for you or your tradition
to pick and choose the things that are okay for you and yours, but not okay
for someone else to similarly pick and choose the things that may be okay
for him.

As per the OT you are probably a heretic.  By modern standards, the practice
of Xmas is unexceptional -- common even.  There was some vague argument
about the static quality of your faith and traditions, but in fact we see
that they change with the times -- the origins of many traditions firmly
rooted in ancient paganism no less!

In many ways many faiths are just an excuse for bigotry and prejudice.  I
don't care for those particular qualities in anything. Everybody is free to
worship (or not) what they will for themselves.  Hey, go worship Moloch for
all I care.  Just don't tell me that I have to worship him too, or how I
should worship him if I  already believe in him.

I guess Abraham discovered that flesh burns just as good for Moloch as I Am.

-- Hop-Frog