 Off-Topic / Debate / 20874
Re: Sex Scandal: U.S. President had sex with Intern!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2003 23:31:05 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello writes:
No kidding, I'm LDS...

This explains a lot.

Why must religious people be tolerant of the lifestyles of others, while they
are intollerant of our lifestyles? How about this for a novel concept, keep
private things private. You don't discuss what happens in your bedroom, and I
will afford you the same courtesy.

I am not seeing the intolerance directed at the religious members of our
community.  Maybe if you were Jewish or Muslim.  That thing about Mormon
persecution so many years ago is starting to grow mold on it...

The intolerance I was refering to is that of those who take issue with
religions or religionists for their beliefs, basically telling someone that
they must unconditionally accept your chosen lifestyle. One of my best
friends has recently moved in with his girlfriend, I have expressed to him
that I personally believe that this is wrong, but it is his decision to
make. His choice in no way makes me fell less about him, and I still spend a
great deal of time at his new house. I am tolerant of his lifestyle, even
though I disagree with it, he is tolerant of my postition, even though he
disagrees with it. My beef is with those who would try to force me to
completely accept their arangement, rather than simply tolerate it.

And by the way, I do not know a single LDS person who uses age old
persecution as a crutch for any reason, I never do. I merely brought it up
as a funny side note to the polygamy reference.

I'd just like to remind you that the LDS are not exactly observing the
Golden Rule in the way I think of it: "Do not unto others as you would have
others not do unto you."  Instead, they send their annoying missionaries
around periodically to bang on my door, as if I needed spiritual guidance
from a door to door, overzealous salesman!

Take thy Urim and Thummim from out my heart, and take tha form from off my door!

We are taking something that brings us happiness and offering to share it,
how is that not following the golden rule? If you are not interested simply
state that and they will leave you alone. Don't want them to knock in the
first place, put up a no soliciting sign.

Now I am not in favor of overtly sexual acts in public, but I think that
holding hands, embracing, and kissing in public should be allowed for
everyone.  I certainly see heterosexual couples doing it, it would therefore
be most unfair to deny such practices to gays, bis, etc.

I have this funny feeling that you can't actually let it go at that --
that's too much to bear, to see same sex couples engaged romantic touching.
You're supposed to persecute people that do that.  It would be like allowing
a growing evil to fester within your community.

"God told me to skin you alive..."

-- Hop-Frog

I know you are called the hop-frog, but your legs must be tired from jumping
to so many conclusions. When one of my inner-circle of friends confessed to
all of us that he was gay, he expected, because of my faith, that I would be
the least accepting and tolerant, in fact he told me that I was the most
understanding. I have no problem with homosexual couples displaying
affection in public. If it was a bit over zealous I am sure it would make me
uncomfortable, but that is true of heterosexual affection too. Do
homosexuals harm communities? Should the be rooted out? Absolutely not. Why
must you make such assumptions?

Scott C.