 Off-Topic / Debate / 20866
20865  |  20867
Subject:
Pagans and Xtians (was Re: Sex Scandal etc)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2003 21:34:38 GMT

Easter isn't scriptual, nor, btw, is Christmas.  The Lord's supper is,
though.

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:
Easter, not scriptural? I do remember being in Religion classes back in
school and be told that it was *the* most important Christian celebration!

Easter and Xmas are both originally pagan holidays. You might as well be
worhshipping some ancient fire god like some of the peoples mentioned in the
OT (at one point Abraham, prior to taking up with "I Am", was more into a
guy called Moloch.  The funny thing about Moloch was that he liked to have
children sacrificed to him in a fire.  Sound familiar?).  See? Right there.
It's like a giant neon sign glowing above your head that warns everyone that
you have never read the Bible yourself -- if you had, you would know these
things. You would know these things just as easily as I, a non-believer,
knows them.

The "Lord's Supper" is actually the more ancient Passover from the OT.
Jesus altered the meaning of the feast by instituting it as a ritual more
akin to what you may know as a sacrament -- to do certain things in
remembrance of his flesh and blood.  It is the takeover of an ancient feast
and then giving it a new meaning, but at least it is a true Judeo-Xtian holy
day.  And then again, Jesus may have said something about NOT changing even
the tiniest aspect of Mosaic law -- so these kinds of tweaks might have been
a way to do something new while still doing something old.

-- Hop-Frog