 Off-Topic / Debate / 20871
Re: Sex Scandal: U.S. President had sex with Intern!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2003 22:39:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Orion Pobursky writes:
<snip>
Are you suggesting that that Pre-first Convenant conduct trumps the
unequivocal teachings of Jesus?

So basically what you are saying here is that some portions of the Bible are
more important that other portions?  Why?

Yes.  Without getting into it too deeply, I'd say that the Gospels are the most
important part of the Bible, for they contain God's final revelation and
interpretation of the Bible (talking OT here).

I was brought up to believe that
the bible as a whole is important and that everything inside the covers are
related.  This means that choosing one passage from one book of the bible
and, without relating it to the rest of the Bibles teaching, using to create
dogma is against the whold purpose of the Bible in the first place.

Jesus spent his whole life teaching tolerence and forgiveness.

Certainly forgiveness, but "tolerance"???  Consider this verse (or any passage
where Jesus is in dialog with the Pharisees).  Suffice to say that Jesus was
completely intolerant of the evil of men.

"If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his own father and mother, wife and
children, brothers and sisters--yes, and even his own life--he cannot be My
disciple." Luke 14:26

What I see
today from certain groups and individuals is that you are some sort of
outcast if you don't follow the dogma of oraganized religion.  How tolerant
or forgiving is this view?

Not an outcast, just lost.

JOHN