 Off-Topic / Debate / 20858
Re: Kissing heinie at its finest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2003 15:28:32 GMT

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/3018367.stm

We can 'look down' on the French or (insert your 'picked-on' country of
choice--Italy has had a few jokes at its expense) for decades, but woe unto
us who find the arrogance of the US contemptable.

Did, and does the US still contribute a whole bunch of 'good' to the world?

Absolutely.

Did the US, along with the other "Alled" countries, liberate Europe from a
tyrannical dictator?

Yes.

Does this mean that the US should be exempt from scrutiny?

Absolutely not.

And hence the "Hey, you're under the microscope".  The US has been given a
'bye' for years because there was equilibrium amongst the countries.  Now
that there is one "superpower", and this superpower now seems to be willing
to use its power to coerce others into compliance, I think that, well, maybe
there might, on the oft-chance, be a wee bit'o backlash and "anti-Americanism".

Suck it up.  If you want the spotlight, we'll notice your tux-'n-tails, but
we'll also notice that your fly's undone or your shoelace is untied.

Too often calling people "anti-American" is just a way for the intellectually
lazy to counter critics. It's much easier than [say] justifying some aspects of
the war on terrorism or why WOMD have not been found yet.

That fact that some of the USA's biggest critics are American is irrelevant!

It's the same for Israel; its critics are often called anti-Semitic [or if they
are Jewish they are called "self hating Jews"].

Scott A

Dave K