 Off-Topic / Debate / 20879
Re: Kissing heinie at its finest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 15:20:43 GMT

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/3018367.stm

We can 'look down' on the French or (insert your 'picked-on' country of
choice--Italy has had a few jokes at its expense) for decades, but woe unto
us who find the arrogance of the US contemptable.

What is funny is the one thing that my brother in law, who live in England,
and I have in common is French jokes. Contempt for the French and their
arrogance seems to be a great unifier among nations.

Suck it up.  If you want the spotlight, we'll notice your tux-'n-tails, but
we'll also notice that your fly's undone or your shoelace is untied.

Too often calling people "anti-American" is just a way for the intellectually
lazy to counter critics. It's much easier than [say] justifying some aspects of
the war on terrorism or why WOMD have not been found yet.

That fact that some of the USA's biggest critics are American is irrelevant!

It's the same for Israel; its critics are often called anti-Semitic [or if they
are Jewish they are called "self hating Jews"].

Those two things are true, and likewise someone who suggests that
affirmitive action is harmfull, or points out the high rate of crime among
the minority community is labeled a racist. Any one who suggests that they
don't approve of homosexuality is called a "homophobe", personally I hate
that term for it's inacuracy. A phobia, is an irrational fear, biggotry does
not equal phobia, if it did we could call hatred of french "francophobia".

Although I agree labels get tossed around too easily, one must admit that
there is a difference between being critical of particluar American policy,
and being truely Anti-American. I think it would be fair to label most of
the anti-war crowd as anti-Bush, look at the signs the protestors carry.

What would I label Anti-Americanism? Here are a few beliefs that I think put
someone in that catagory. 9/11 attacks those were either our doing or our
fault. It's a little warm in the Sahara this year, that's America's fault.
Some poor family somewhere is starving, that's America's fault. The price of
tea in China is too high, etc..

Scott C.