 Off-Topic / Debate / 20880
Re: Kissing heinie at its finest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 16:00:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello writes:

What is funny is the one thing that my brother in law, who live in England,
and I have in common is French jokes. Contempt for the French and their
arrogance seems to be a great unifier among nations.

We all seem to have our own form of arrogance.  The American forte is
arrogance through naivety.  The English arrogance is more through belief
that they are naturally superior, and the French is not so much that they
are superior so much that everyone else isn't as worthy (and also that they
pretend like they aren't arrogant, as opposed to Americans who simply don't
understand that they are arrogant).  Or am I arrogant for passing rather
flip judgment?  :-)

Those two things are true, and likewise someone who suggests that
affirmitive action is harmfull, or points out the high rate of crime among
the minority community is labeled a racist. Any one who suggests that they
don't approve of homosexuality is called a "homophobe", personally I hate
that term for it's inacuracy. A phobia, is an irrational fear, biggotry does
not equal phobia, if it did we could call hatred of french "francophobia".

The term "francophobia" exists.  I've seen it used many times (quick yahoo
check: 1510 returns).

Although I agree labels get tossed around too easily, one must admit that
there is a difference between being critical of particluar American policy,
and being truely Anti-American. I think it would be fair to label most of
the anti-war crowd as anti-Bush, look at the signs the protestors carry.

This is something of an attempt to marginalize the anti-war protesters as
merely die-hard Bush haters.  But many of those protesting this war did not
protest the Afghan war - Al Qaeda was there and was being sheltered by that
country's government.  I may not have liked it, but I didn't see a good
alternative.  The Iraq war seems like completely wasted motion.

-->Bruce<--