 Off-Topic / Debate / 12368
Re: Are we doing the right thing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 11:44:49 GMT

First, Lindsay, I don't want to gush, but I really just love reading your
stuff.  Your only problem is that you're too sporadic.  :-)  Do you teach like
this?  Or does the nature of the college classroom require the lecture to be
generally dry?  Most people seem to object to history on the basis that it's
boring.  I think it's partly because it's presented as a series of generally
unconnected facts, and partly because there is often no relevent tie-in to the
here and now.

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  See above.  Yes, it is imperative to national security to defend
  ourselves against attacks--but the defence should really be in
  line with the potential and nature of attack.

Mightn't it be that our missile defense system would lead to infrastructure
development that would allow us to not only defend against ICBMs, but also to
project force around the globe?  What if this is merely an intermediate step to
space-based rail guns that can closely target individuals?  It might be that we
don't really need the ABS (Anti-Ballistic Shield), but we do want future
spin-offs.

   Nuclear terrorism won't come from above--it'll come from within,
   and just when we foolishly believe we're safe.  But also don't
   *over*estimate the ruthlessness of terrorists--the sheer horror
   of the nuclear nightmare is anathema to most of them.

Why is that?  I would think they'd be giddy at the thought of nuking one of • our
cities.

Why?  Does the thought of nuking them make _you_ giddy?  They're just people.

And since the terrorist has no homeland to be retaliated against...

I don't particularly have a homeland against which to retaliate, but I don't
think we should be swatting people with nukes.

  Not directly.  But if a group should nuke a city, do you think
  *any* legitimate government--or even most other terrorist organ-
  izations--would have *anything* to do with them?

Maybe not, but at least largely because to do so would be dangerous.  I don't
doubt there are enough folks out there who'd like to spit some nukes, that they
could get a mutual admiration society together after the fact.

While I of course think that
they're worthy of being called 'human,' their terrorism is unquestionably
inhumane.  I fully support retaliations for terrorist acts against the US and
against American citizens when there is a sufficient trail to 'whodunnit.'

  Ditto.  But again, to play devil's advocate:  The terrorist feels
  that their acts are analagous to the kind of evil violence perpe-
  trated against them and their people.

From your comments at the bottom, it sounds as if you actually disagree with
them on this?  Is that right?  It seems to me that some people do have an
actually valid beef with the US.  You know how they say we control way more
than our "share" of the resources of the earth?  That's because we were best at
manipulating things so that other folks didn't get them.  So we live the good
life and (and because) other people don't.  Why shouldn't they be ticked?

  I definitely support retaliation--it is in
  all senses a war, except that detecting the enemy is a lot harder.)

Couldn't war (just like domestic crime) be averted by working to make their lot
better?

Are Israel and Palestine in conflict _really_ because of the Holy Land, or is
it because there are two few of whatever resources to go around?  Why not step
in with a method of better each group's lot without taking (much) from the
other?

Its unfortunate for the Muslim world that their small percentage of extermist
groups give them a bad rap as a stereotype.

That's true about everyone.  You have, IIRC (though maybe it was someone else),
bristled about negative characterizations of Christians.  It's the same thing.
The extremists give the rest of you a bad name.  On the other hand, I also
think that if you're not kind of radical it's because you're not paying
attention.  So what's to be done?

It also baffles me that the
extremist groups are so senseless and insane in their acts.

  I rarely hear of a group terrorist act that's senseless.  They
  seem insane, but usually not.  Horrific, yes.  Indefensible,
  certainly.

I disagree.  Any people should use whatever methods they have at their disposal
to secure a fair measure of life.  To do less is to accept slavery.  If their
only recourse is terrorism, then their neighbors damn well need to help solve
their problems (or snuff them).

  2) Oil. The US government aids its corporations in arm-twisting of
     Arab nations for the only commodity they have that the West
     seems to value:  Oil.  Oil holds out the possibility of giving
     a real chance to Arab nations--the United Arab Emirates have
     shown what can be done with truly careful and wise use of oil
     income for desalinization plants, factories, schools, roads,
     rail, those magnificent airports, commercial nexuses, telecom
     hubs, and more.  If the price of oil is allowed to rise, that's
     a much greater share of world wealth that comes in to fund the
     development.  However, to maintain the present system of
     inequality, the West operates in unison against OPEC nations,
     seeking to drive wedges between them whenever possible.  I'd
     be surprised if OPEC can ever blindside the US and its allies
     the way they did in the 1970s.  Solidarity is just too deeply
     compromised.  The thinkers among the militant disaffected see
     this and hold the United States responsible--our whining over
     having to pay $2 a gallon for gasoline (less than desalinized
     water, by the way), which is highly publicized, doesn't help
     to dispel this impression.

With exactly which part(s) of this analysis do you disagree?

  3) History.  This isn't about Israel, it's about US lies and
     deceit.  Time and time again, the United States spouts off
     one set of standards and goals for the developed world and
     another for the "Third world."  This goes back to Versailles,
     really, when Wilson allowed the Arab world to be carved up
     among Europeans in the Mandate system, despite an Arab delegation
     appearing at Versailles (they were refused admittance to the
     talks over the future of their own lands) and their very public
     embrace of the Fourteen Points.  Ever since then the US has
     been duplicitous, selfish, and plutocratic, caring not
     whether Muslims live or die, only that *USians* remain rich
     and free.  You can see where this leads, right?

With exactly which part(s) of this analysis do you disagree?

Chris