 Off-Topic / Debate / 12359
12358  |  12360
Subject:
The Hunt For Red October (was:Re: Are we doing the right thing?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 15:54:29 GMT

snip

Dude, are you making this up as you go along?!?

Hehe, It's starting to sound like that isn't it? (not sarcastic)

But no I'm not, I have seen THFRO twice in fact, and right now it stands as
one of my fav. movies. I obviously have a rather diffferent interpretation
of the plot, and I may or may or may not be confused, I'll let you decide,

The earlier section of the plot, my way

The Russians build a large ballistic submarine called the Red October, it
uses a new drive system refferred to as the catepillar, The sub's purpose
was to sneak into a large US city unheard/seen and flatten it.

The sub's first mission was to test the sub's capability and rendevous with
Tupolev.

Ramius had other plans, his intention was to defect, so he strangled the
political officer and switched the orders. The new order stated that they
would head to the American east coast and conduct missile drills, as you said.

When moscow heard his intention to defect, they sent their entire fleet out
to destroy the red october, then made up the story of how he was a renegade
captain etc. so that the american's would help them out in trying to destroy RO.

I'll stop here, other wise it get's too long...

That is just my interprataion of a section of the plot, feel free to change
it as you will.

Their orders were to proceed north, and rendezvous with Tupolev's boat,
where they would conduct drills with the caterpillar drive. Then they were
to return to Polyjarny (sp?).

Captain Raimus later tells the crew their orders are to sit off the coast of
New York, where they will "Listen to their Rock and Roll while we conduct
missile drills." He then tells them that they will proceed to Havana, Cuba.

Really? I didn't catch the cuba part of it. I'll take you word for it though.

He tells the crew all of this because he doesn't want them to be too
suspicious about why they're headed toward America.

At no point does anyone say anything about destroying New York. • Captain
Raimus intends to defect because the Red October "has but one purpose."

~Grand Admiral "Yes I DO own The Hunt For Red October" Muffin Head

the seemingly confused...
-Geordan-