 Off-Topic / Debate / 12348
Re: Are we doing the right thing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 20:32:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Geordan Hankinson writes:
The red october's orders are to destroy new york with their new silent
"catepillar" technology. The orders to use the weapons are from the
politian's,

Wait a sec... What? Now I'll admit it's been a while since I've seen the
movie, but weren't they just testing the caterpillar technology? I don't
think there were any plans at all about using any weapons on the US.

Captain Ramius then decides on his own, rather than nukeing New
york, to go against orders and defect. He also kills the political oficer on
board the sub to ensure his plan of non-violence works.

Well-- 1st off, that'd be an odd tactic-- If I remember correctly, the
political officer is the only one who died in the movie; and had he had his
way, nobody would have died at all... the US would just be intimidated. At
least, by my memory.

The US (or anyone) could design a weapon to destroy the world and have it
aimed at any particular country, that weapon means nothing until the
politicains give orders to attack. Weapons mean nothing unless they are used.

But one could argue also that we'd be safer without them, since the only
time they're *not* dangerous is when they're not used. The problem is that a
lot of weapons building up *IS* actually a trigger for war. The more one
country looks superior, the more other countries fear it and try to
counterbalance it with alliances, etc, until you get a chain reaction like
in WWI.

DaveE

Which is exactly why that foolish missile-defense nonsense is so dangerous.
We're liable to create just the right conditions for a nuclear "incident" with
this money-sink, er, national defense system.  This whole issue just makes me
sick to think about it.

james