 Off-Topic / Debate / 12580
Re: In light of Tuesday's events (was Re: Are we doing the right thing?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 01:06:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Alan Findlay writes:
<lots of snippage>

  I rarely hear of a group terrorist act that's senseless.  They
  seem insane, but usually not.  Horrific, yes.  Indefensible,
  certainly.

I disagree.  Any people should use whatever methods they have at their • disposal
to secure a fair measure of life.  To do less is to accept slavery.  If their
only recourse is terrorism, then their neighbors damn well need to help solve
their problems (or snuff them).
Chris

What say you now, sir?

The same.

The fact that I am 40 miles from the site of the World Trade Center, and have
spent more of the past 36 hours crying than a grown man is "supposed" to,
doesn't change the logic one bit.  I still hold that under some circumstances
terrorist attacks are worthy of the human spirit.  I don't see how this was
one, but I may be merely hopelessly naive about our actions abroad.

Chris

However, your logic does not allow for "under some circumstances" but rather
points to ALL circumstances. Following on from your earlier example of you,
your children, a bus driver and an avalanche, whether you think Tuesday's
events are "worthy of the human spirit" or not is immaterial. The hijackers
thought it was right, good, and just, so following your logic we must also
view it as such -- or at least we cannot be outraged and angry. Instead,
according to your comments above, we are to look on Tuesday's events as a
"learning experience" and look for ways to help those who were responsible
to improve their circumstances and stop being so nasty.

As I've read your posts, it appears that you do not hold that there are
universal rights and wrongs, but rather a "right for me; right for you". You
have exhibited a belief in "the end justifies the means". This is where your
logic takes you.

With respect,
Alan