 Off-Topic / Debate / 12360
Re: Are we doing the right thing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 16:08:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

[Tim Courtney:]
With that logic, I'd expect you to next say that bulletproof vests on police
officers invite criminals to shoot them.

  I don't think that's a fair extension.  Bulletproof vests are
  *not* sold as a guarantee of protection, rather as an added
  margin of safety in given situations.

On the other hand, there is something to be said for Tim's extension (though
it's clear that he meant it as counterfactual) as worth thinking about.  If I
were preparing an action of some kind that had a plausibility of needing to
shoot armored cops, I would certainly use armor-piercing ammunition.  And that
might increase collateral casualties.  In that way, the missile defense shield
could also stimulate escalation.

   That's a good point, and another way of getting at the problem
   with a missile shield.  Putin has, in fact, hinted that this would
   be the case--can you imagine nuclear missiles with advanced ECM
   capability?  *shudder*

I'm not arguing with the lack of winnability issue, I agree.  But there's
promoted escalation too.  Or maybe that just fits in with your talk about
gaining an edge.

   It does, but I didn't think about it explicitly.  It's a good point.

It is imperative to our national security that we defend ourselves against
attacks.  Especially because the weapons of mass destruction are making their
way into the hands of terrorists.

  Nuclear terrorism won't come from above--it'll come from within,

Yup.  But a space-based infrastructure of _any_ kind is a good thing.  I happen
to think that it's good enough to be worth the (relatively low) risk of
thermonuclear war.

   You raise an interesting and valid point here, one that
   I'm very much in sympathy with.

   The question, from my standpoint, is how much orbital
   infrastructure this would really *be*.  Sure, it would be
   an enormous investment, but would it really be that much
   more than what's already in orbit?  The space-based items
   we really need are those that can be turned to productive
   use for further exploration/colonization.  These defences
   turn back towards the Earth--in that sense, they're not
   so much space infrastructure but Earth-based military
   equipment that's sitting on the ultimate high ground.
   I agree 100% that added infrastructure is good--and spy
   satellites and the like do have benefits--but I disagree
   that a missile shiled would be any added benefit in that
   regard, at least not one commensurate with the risk.

   The only benefit I can see is that it would end the
   agreed demilitarization of space and pave the way for
   useful nuclear *propulsion*.  But who knows what kind of
   box we're opening by doing that?  (If we did, it wouldn't
   be much of a .debate... ;) )

   best

   LFB