 Off-Topic / Debate / 12345
Re: Are we doing the right thing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 20:04:50 GMT

In lugnet.build.mecha, Mladen Pejic writes:
I agree 110% with James!

And I agree 120% with Mladen, Ever seen the movie "The Hunt For Red
October"? (the best movie ever)

The red october's orders are to destroy new york with their new silent
"catepillar" technology. The orders to use the weapons are from the
politian's, Captain Ramius then decides on his own, rather than nukeing New
york, to go against orders and defect. He also kills the political oficer on
board the sub to ensure his plan of non-violence works.

The US (or anyone) could design a weapon to destroy the world and have it
aimed at any particular country, that weapon means nothing until the
politicains give orders to attack. Weapons mean nothing unless they are used.

Just my $.02

-Geordan-

Look at the Cold War for example, both the U.S.A. and U.S.S.R. had enough
nuclear weapons to annihilate the world, but did they? Deterrence is what
prevented both nations from even thinking about launching their arsenals.

To rephrase a saying: Weapons don't start wars, politicians do. ;-)

Mladen Pejic, over and out!
http://www3.sympatico.ca/mladenpejic/

In lugnet.build.mecha, James Davis writes:
I think that weaponry is actually a very positive message.
If weapons are for defense, it shows that a nation is strong.
The stronger a nation is, the less likely it is that it will ever go to war.

Back to lurking.

In lugnet.build.mecha, Borislav Marinov writes:
Hi everyone, I just want your input on this:

I can't help but notice that all of our mechs are very well armed, with the
exception of a few which simply look intimidating enough as it is.  Each
one
of
our creations is gifted with large destruction capabilities.  Unlike most • of
the creations in "space", we have been manufacturing one weapon of war • after
another.  My Zero had a "compact" 2ft long beam rifle for example.  While • most
of the other mechs don't go overboard with their weaponary, they are not
manufactured by the Peacecraft family either.  On a side note, I have
noticed
dramatic drop in the number of smily faces figures in recent Lego sets.
As most of you have already guesed, I am thinking about this due to the • last
episode of the 8th MS Team which portrays a Zion engineer in a somewhat
negative way.

Well thanks for letting me waste your time again.

Bobby (Neo-Oz)