 Off-Topic / Debate / 12356
Re: Are we doing the right thing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 04:55:49 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Courtney writes:
"James Simpson" <jsimpson@rice.edu> wrote in message

Which is exactly why that foolish missile-defense nonsense is so dangerous.
We're liable to create just the right conditions for a nuclear "incident" with
this money-sink, er, national defense system.  This whole issue just makes me
sick to think about it.

With that logic, I'd expect you to next say that bulletproof vests on police
officers invite criminals to shoot them.

   I don't think that's a fair extension.  Bulletproof vests are
   *not* sold as a guarantee of protection, rather as an added
   margin of safety in given situations.

   The problem with missile-defence is precisely that which James
   and Dave pointed out:  it creates a fiction that a nuclear war,
   however limited, is winnable.  The lack of any parity in the
   rest of the world with regards to an effective--or even partially
   so--ABM system is even worse, because it encourages calculations
   of "reasonable" loss.

   This is precisely what happened in WWI.  It wasn't that anyone
   wanted four years in the trenches, eating blood and mud and steel,
   or being reduced to cooking cats on the home front (yes, it really
   did happen in Austria and parts of Germany).  *Every* major power
   had a reason to want to go to war, but more importantly, every one
   of those powers believed it had some special quality that gave it
   an edge and would make victory speedy and complete.  They believed
   in invulnerability--Germany's Schlieffen plan (which actually would
   have worked had von Kluck not panicked, but that's another story),
   Britain's navy, France's rapid mobilization, and Russia's numbers.
   Can you imagine this with nuclear weapons?  Between 1905 and 1914,
   the powers of Europe increasingly baited each other and deluded
   themselves into believing what I've described here.  The result
   was the greatest carnage the world had seen since the Golden Horde
   of Genghis Khan rampaged though Eastern Europe and China.

   If we build an anti-missile system, it's going to lead us into
   serious trouble through complacency or cockiness.  If we share the
   technology, mark my words, someone will one day decide they've got
   the edge.  If nobody has a defence, then every nation-state has
   the trump card and nobody will dare make the move.  Deterrence
   worked for 52 years--why change it now? (See below for my response
   to your "hypothetical.")

It is imperative to our national security that we defend ourselves against
attacks.  Especially because the weapons of mass destruction are making their
way into the hands of terrorists.

   What weapons are these?  Ballistic missiles?  Have you EVER heard
   of a terrorist organization launching an intercontinental ballistic
   missile?  Heck, when have terrorists ever even managed to use more
   than a mortar, which I'll remind you doesn't shoot more than a few
   hundred meters?  Are you aware of the amount of infrastructure
   and investment required to produce a reliable ICBM and keep it in
   running order?  China has had access to Russian/Soviet technical
   expertise for a long time now and they *still* don't have anything
   that can reach US soil (AFAIK).  We're not talking model rocketry
   here--you can't just take it apart, assemble it in the desert, and
   shoot it at the Evil American Great Satan Imperialists [tm pending].

   Someone said it more eloquently than me, but I'll paraphrase:
   It's not the nation-state with a nuclear missile you need to worry
   about.  It's the terrorist sailing up the Hudson in a little motor-
   boat with a slightly radioactive (and possibly ticking) beer cooler
   at the other end who will be the real threat.  The terrorist will
   have no territory or population you can threaten in return, unlike
   the nation-state whose power base is always in peril.

   Nuclear terrorism won't come from above--it'll come from within,
   and just when we foolishly believe we're safe.  But also don't
   *over*estimate the ruthlessness of terrorists--the sheer horror
   of the nuclear nightmare is anathema to most of them.  All the
   "Iron Eagle III" fantasies about bloodthirsty Muslim nuke-fiends
   do is convince Americans that terrorists and the societies from
   which they hail are somehow not worthy of the label "human."  (If
   you don't believe me, look back at the first three or four days
   after the OKC/Murrah bombing--everyone was sure it was some Arab.)
   Even terrorists have goals, and it's not normally violence for
   violence's sake.

   Wow.  Get a historian started, and see what happens?  ;)

   best

   LFB