 Off-Topic / Debate / 12364
Re: Are we doing the right thing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 02:38:28 GMT

"Mr L F Braun" <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message
news:GIywD1.6y3@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Courtney writes:
With that logic, I'd expect you to next say that bulletproof vests on police
officers invite criminals to shoot them.

   I don't think that's a fair extension.  Bulletproof vests are
   *not* sold as a guarantee of protection, rather as an added
   margin of safety in given situations.

Neither is our missle system guaranteed protection, from what I understand of
it.

   The problem with missile-defence is precisely that which James
   and Dave pointed out:  it creates a fiction that a nuclear war,
   however limited, is winnable.  The lack of any parity in the
   rest of the world with regards to an effective--or even partially
   so--ABM system is even worse, because it encourages calculations
   of "reasonable" loss.

Now, that's a good point.  I'm definitely against nuclear war, but I'm also for
protecting our soil.  Tough issue though.

It is imperative to our national security that we defend ourselves against
attacks.  Especially because the weapons of mass destruction are making their
way into the hands of terrorists.

   What weapons are these?  Ballistic missiles?  Have you EVER heard
   of a terrorist organization launching an intercontinental ballistic
   missile?

S'pose you're right.  But I still stand by my first sentence :)

   Nuclear terrorism won't come from above--it'll come from within,
   and just when we foolishly believe we're safe.  But also don't
   *over*estimate the ruthlessness of terrorists--the sheer horror
   of the nuclear nightmare is anathema to most of them.

Why is that?  I would think they'd be giddy at the thought of nuking one of our
cities.  And since the terrorist has no homeland to be retaliated against...

   All the
   "Iron Eagle III" fantasies about bloodthirsty Muslim nuke-fiends
   do is convince Americans that terrorists and the societies from
   which they hail are somehow not worthy of the label "human."

Haven't seen the third one of the series yet.  While I of course think that
they're worthy of being called 'human,' their terrorism is unquestionably
inhumane.  I fully support retaliations for terrorist acts against the US and
against American citizens when there is a sufficient trail to 'whodunnit.'

Its unfortunate for the Muslim world that their small percentage of extermist
groups give them a bad rap as a stereotype.  It also baffles me that the
extremist groups are so senseless and insane in their acts.

What's the big deal with the US anyways?  Is it because we're percieved as a
'Christian nation?'

-Tim