 Off-Topic / Debate / 12344
Re: Are we doing the right thing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 19:36:18 GMT

In lugnet.build.mecha, James Simpson writes:
In lugnet.build.mecha, James Davis writes:
I think that weaponry is actually a very positive message.
If weapons are for defense, it shows that a nation is strong.
The stronger a nation is, the less likely it is that it will ever go to war.

Things are slow around here, so I'm going to jump into the fray.  Does history
bear that out?  I don't think that there is a correlation between the strength
of a nation and a reticence towards war.

Follow ups to off-topic.debate.

I was going to say the same thing...

Germany sure didn't show any hesitation to use their vastly supperior army in
WWII, nor did the Romans hesitate to us theirs, or the British durring colonial
expansion etc. etc.

Can we say that because the U.S. has a vastly suppior military it won't use it
to protect their economic dominance in the world...  Sorry we already do
that... Just because the U.S. hasn't technically taken over another country
that doesn't mean we don't use it to get our way.

This is probably reason #1 why we are disliked in so many places around the
world.

Our government tells us that we are defending freedom and democracy when we
liberate Kuwait.  Thats bull because first Kuwait isn't a democracy and we
could care less how they treat their people as long as we get cheap oil.

Anyway obviously a big army is a good deterant to invasion but it is not there
to sit waiting for an attack.  It is their to serve a purpose to further that
governments standing whether you call it war or not.

Although you never know, I hear Canada is massing troups at the boarder as we
speak...

Eric Kingsley