 Off-Topic / Debate / 12369
Re: Views on asylum seekers?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 11:51:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:
Seems like the stance of the Australian government
http://au.dailynews.yahoo.com/Full_Coverage/Immigrants/ has become an
international news item. Political issues aside (if possible), I'd be
interested in other peoples views on this (especially non-Australians).

FWIW, I heard on the radio this morning that Australia has agreed to take some
of them.

Australia has many refugee camps where such people are housed while their
applications are processed. Most are away from large population areas, and
some are rumoured to be overcrowded. There are also rumours of abuse by
officials, and many have been in such camps for several years.

Are they being used for slave labor?

So what do you think? Should Australia take these people, or has the
government acted properly? Or is there another solution no-one's thought of?

I personally think that citizenship is a scam.  I'd welcome those folks to the
US.  I guess I suppose that Australians "ought" to do the same, but I feel
pretty removed from the situation.  What about your opinion?

Chris