 Off-Topic / Debate / 12389
Re: Views on asylum seekers?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 00:32:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

[big snip, I agree]

I was just thinking (ooh, dangerous) a bit... A while ago I proposed
that the conditions in the "third world" are partially the fault of the
populations of those countries. I'd like to revise that thought a bit
and point out that if we did have open immigration, many more of those
petty dictatorships would collapse. Why? Because the populace would have
more opportunity to vote with their feet.

Agreed.  Further, what would happen if by offering a place to the people of
Banana Republic X, we got more than half of them to want to come to the US?
Could we charge them the nation that they're leaving as a fee?  We could then
just go occupy their territory since a majority of them voted for it.  It's a
new land-grab scam!

But actually, I think that we should offer whole smallish populations the
opportunity to be replaced into the US.  We're large enough to take them in and
we could send "normal" Americans out to where the new immigrants used to live,
to colonize the new frontier.

We should do that with Jerusalem too.  Make it a territory of the US, establish
US justice, move the problem people out, and happy North Americans in.  Then we
could let neighboring nationals visit their Holy sites all they wanted, and it
wouldn't be in the hands of their religious antithesis.  I wonder if I could
get the concessions contract?

Why not crosspost this to .fun?

   Heck, why not a new newsgroup, lugnet.off-topic.sarcasm.drip.drip.drip?
   ;)

   I still disagree, by the way, that people in third world countries
   are any more responsible for their personal lot than we're each
   responsible for the prosperity brought by our forebears.  They're
   inheriting an awful situation, and no amount of individual industry
   is going to turn it around overnight--not without the tools that
   we take for granted here.  Societies have more inertia than we
   give them credit for, and it's easier to screw things up than to
   set them running again because we don't really understand how any
   culture "works"--not even our own.

   best

   LFB