 Off-Topic / Debate / 12372
Re: Views on asylum seekers?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 01:08:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:
Seems like the stance of the Australian government
http://au.dailynews.yahoo.com/Full_Coverage/Immigrants/ has become an
international news item. Political issues aside (if possible), I'd be
interested in other peoples views on this (especially non-Australians).

FWIW, I heard on the radio this morning that Australia has agreed to take some
of them.

I hadn't heard that - and I'm skeptical that would happen, given the position
of the government. Here's another story about the court action which has been
brought by civil libertarian groups
http://au.dailynews.yahoo.com/headlines/20010903/aapnews/999470958-2550824970.html

Australia has many refugee camps where such people are housed while their
applications are processed. Most are away from large population areas, and
some are rumoured to be overcrowded. There are also rumours of abuse by
officials, and many have been in such camps for several years.

Are they being used for slave labor?

Not AFAIK. There's no rumours of that.

So what do you think? Should Australia take these people, or has the
government acted properly? Or is there another solution no-one's thought of?

I personally think that citizenship is a scam.  I'd welcome those folks to the
US.

Where would you house them? A detention centre? Housing commission? What do you
tell American citizens who now have to pay for large numbers of detention
centres? Or citizens who've been waiting years for a housing commision house?

What if they aren't genuine refugees, just well cashed-up hangers-on? What do
you tell the genuine refugees who've had their places taken by others just
because they had more cash?

I guess I suppose that Australians "ought" to do the same, but I feel
pretty removed from the situation.  What about your opinion?

I'm happy to accept genuine refugees, and if they make their application before
entering the country, even though they may have to wait a while, it allows the
government to plan the extra accomodation needed. People who jump the queue in
my book deserve no sympathy, refugee or not.

Of course, the problem is exacerbated by the smugglers who take the cash,
however while there's a ready supply of people willing to pay, there's no way
to crack down on that. Our government is, in a way, trying to send the message
"It's no longer worth the money, because we wont take you anymore". Of course,
for many of these people, it'll take a lot more than that to deter them.

Also, AFAIK once their applications are processed, any genuine refugees that
still want to emigrate to Australia will be accepted.

ROSCO