 Off-Topic / Debate / 12401
Re: Views on asylum seekers?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 06:23:43 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:
I'm sure the building industry would be delighted to find room and resources
to accomodate new Australians. As for the cost, how about a $14000 new home
buyers grant? Seriously, the government is spending a massive amount of
money on refugee detention already. A couple of instantly researched cites:
~$170/person/day
http://www.immi.gov.au/annual_report/annrep97/html/prog8002.htm
(government's own figures, a little out of date)
~$10000/person
http://www.erc.org.au/issues/text/as01.htm
(quoting Ruddock, Minister for Immigration -- this site also presents some
facts the government never manages to mention)

I think we're getting confused between asylum seekers, and refugees here. See
below.

Whichever, the argument against detention remains the same I think. The
sustainable development question of population carrying
capacity/infrastructure/immigration levels is separate, but certainly related.

big ol' snip
They shouldn't -- I agree. But once someone arrives, and is assessed as
being a genuine refugee (which is no easy criterion to satisfy) what would
you do with them?

Welcome them into Australian society with open arms! However when they land on
our coast they have to stay somewhere while the government makes that
assessment. Currently, that's usually a detention camp. But whereever it is,
they're forcing our government to pay for their accomodation during that
period, taking money which could be used to pay housing grants for others
who've applied before they got here. And if they're not assessed as genuine
refugees, the government also carries the cost of deportation.

Here's another perspective, from slate:
http://slate.msn.com/foreigners/entries/01-09-04_114710.asp

--DaveL