 Off-Topic / Debate / 12425
Re: Views on asylum seekers?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 18:16:01 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

I wouldn't.  At least not particularly.  I suppose it would be reasonable to
donate to some organization that helped them find work.  The housing market
could supply a place to live.

And where do they get housed while they're waiting for a house to become
available / be built.

First of all, there are tons of houses in the US that are going unused because
they don't meet the stringent safety laws that we take for granted.  But they
are a 100% improvement over what these immigrants may be used to...and not
really dangerous.  Further, there are many parts of the US (and Australia)
where living in tents is not a bizarre notion.

I just learned that Baltimore had a homesteading project whereby people could
buy derelict houses from the city for $1 with the understanding that they would
live in them and fix them up.  I think that this would be a fantastic option for
the country to offer refugees who are willing to undertake the project.  No dole
involved, and it serves the public interest by creating urban renewal.

james