 Off-Topic / Debate / 12426
Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 18:29:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Greg Perry writes:

Greg:
That is the type of comment that frequently--and not always
incorrectly--elicits charges of bigotry or at least misguided nationalism.

Dave - please see my response to Psi
(http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=12419) for my apologies for this
statement.  I would however ask you to keep in mind that it was made in
response to lawrence's sarcastic "thanks" to the U.S.  I realize now (as is
often the case with what I write) that taken out of context and without any
knowledge of my true beliefs and intentions that these statements do come
off as pretty boorish.

  Fair enough--I posted my message before you had explained your intention.

Also, while I appreciate it being pointed out to me that certain statements
of mine could be misconstrued I have to ask, "How would you have phrased
this question so that it was devoid of any racist, bigoted, imperialistic
attitude?"

  Perhaps something along the lines of "In my experience, products
manufactured in China sometimes display less tightly-controlled standards of
quality, such that some products are often of lesser quality than their
equivalents manufactured elsewhere." It might further be helpful to qualify
the statement in some way so that it doesn't sound like a blanket
condemnation of everything ever to come out of China (or wherever).
  Again, you are of course entitled to your feelings, and, as you've pointed
out, your comments were intended more as sarcasm than proclamation.

Thank you for the thoughts. As I stated I am aware that my postings are
frequently misunderstood and that I could probably do a better job of
presenting my thoughts.

  Oh well, live and learn.  It takes practice to express clearly in print
what one is easily able to articulate to oneself.

I think my best bet thought would be to stick to
more simplistic posts such as "8 Wide Rules!" or "Why Won't LEGO Listen to
Me and All My Great Ideas that Would Save the Company?"

   Well you can take those crazy ideas of yours and stuff them!   8^)

    Dave!