 Off-Topic / Debate / 12388
Re: Views on asylum seekers?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 00:31:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

I personally think that citizenship is a scam.  I'd welcome those
folks to the US.

Where would you house them?

I wouldn't.  At least not particularly.  I suppose it would be reasonable to
donate to some organization that helped them find work.  The housing market
could supply a place to live.

And where do they get housed while they're waiting for a house to become
available / be built. Remember we're not talking 438 anymore, but maybe
millions. And Australias problem isn't limited to 438 either - they've been
coming here illegally for years. The only difference this time was that the
ship was contacted before entering Australian waters, and asked to stay away.
The captain refused.

A detention centre?

No.  That wouldn't be much of a welcome.

Housing commission?

Maybe...but probably not what you mean.

What do you
tell American citizens who now have to pay for large numbers of detention
centres?

I'd advertise the address to which they had the option of sending donations of
cash and I'd set up a collection service for blankets and clothing and stuff.

Again, how effective do you think that would be with large numbers of people?

Or citizens who've been waiting years for a housing commision house?

Everyone should be treated the same.

That's just the problem. These people are forcing our government to treat them
differently than the people who've gone through legal channels.

What if they aren't genuine refugees, just well cashed-up hangers-on?

What do I care?  I'm offering a place to everyone.

What do
you tell the genuine refugees who've had their places taken by others just
because they had more cash?

What places?  I wouldn't set up a system in which 'places' were buyable.

I'm not saying anything about "buyable". Part of the job of government in
processing the applicants is to ensure there is sufficient accomodation. If
accomodation has been found for a refugee still not in Australia, then suddenly
a ship-load of others turn up un-announced, something has to give. We can only
build and operate so many detention centres, so that accomodation suddenly
disappears, and the refugee who's applied legally has to wait even longer. I
don't think this is fair.

I'm happy to accept genuine refugees, and if they make their application • before
entering the country, even though they may have to wait a while, it allows • the
government to plan the extra accomodation needed. People who jump the queue • in
my book deserve no sympathy, refugee or not.

What if they're starving or something?  Don't some people have a valid reason
to jump queue or otherwise expedite the process?

I find it hard to believe they'd be starving if they've just paid several
thousand dollars for a place on one of these boats.

ROSCO