 Off-Topic / Debate / 12387
Re: Military Lego Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 00:26:43 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Noeckel writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition, which was first created in 1478 with
the blessing of Pope Sixtus V for the express purpose of "cleansing" Iberia
of those pesky unbelievers.
best

  LFB

  Posted to-> .off-topic.debate, where this belongs.

Actually and technically, the Inquisition properly so called did not come
into existence until 1231, with the constitution Excommunicamus of Pope
Gregory IX

‘1478’ was more of an establishment rather that a ‘creation.’

   I knew about the Medieval Inquisition (IIRC, that's the term used)--
   but its specifically Spanish incarnation is what I'm talking about
   when referencing 1478.  Or have I missed something else entirely?
   Ecumenical history is always so fraught with titular matters...

Just one question though, am I in dispute with a Masters or Doctorate
student? I'd kinda like to know…just so I can get a good head start and RUN
away when you trounce me with your learnedness.        ;)

   Ph.D., but this isn't my field.  Not even close, in fact.  I just
   apply the methods to any given subject of inquiry and go from there.

Actually, I would really like to know…
Where were you schooled?
In what discipline did you major in?
What is your level of education?

   I think all of that is above in one form or another.  This
   email doesn't come from my current institution, rather the
   less prestigious one before it.  ;)  And I'm a genuine, 100%
   real historian (as opposed to the velveteen variety, I guess).

(I know you’ve been questioned before about this. But I just wanted
clarification. Thanx!)

   I'm not sure how that should affect what anyone says to me.  It
   will, of course, affect what I say to *others* quite strongly.

   best,

   LFB (whose eyeballs have not been bitten by any monkeys)