 Local / Portugal / 59
Re: Military Lego Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.pt
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 03:51:58 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Pedro Silva writes:
In lugnet.dear-lego, Victor Knight writes:
In lugnet.dear-lego, Pedro Silva writes:

I consider that modern european civilization has a lot to thank the arabs,
who kept civilization during the dark ages. They were beaten off the Iberian
Peninsula because they did not want to fight, and instead they devoted to
science and the arts. On the other hand, my ascendants wanted to wipe'em out
the face of the Earth just because they had the "wrong" religion - and drive
the blokes out of Europe in the process. But I cannot claim that those who
gave me a language and culture were the bad guys... so I like the idea of
not clearly choosing a side.

Um did you forget the Arabs came to the Iberian peninsula via war and rape?
Talk about one-sided historical revisionism.

No. But they were far more tolerant then the subsequent christian kingdoms,
they even allowed other monotheist (spelling?) religions to exist in their
own land.

Wow, other monotheistic religions. Heh.

And it is not one-sided historical revisionism, it is commonly
accepted in Portuguese society - which is catholic and was taught for ages
that the Moors were the bad-guys, only because they were Muslims. THAT was
one-sided revisionism.
In Spain you can find a more contradictory position, take Cordoba for
instance: in that city you can find the largest Mosque ever built in Europe,
which is a fine example of Arab Architecture and Art. Yet the locals
*insist* in calling it the Cathedral, and forbid Muslim cult in that site.
The thing is it is that same Arab culture thet attracts tourists from all
over the world, thus enriching the city. Talk about denial of heritage... :-)

My point was that one should not feel sorry for them that they were driven out.