 Off-Topic / Debate / 12384
Re: Military Lego Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 21:56:04 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.dear-lego, Victor Knight writes:
In lugnet.dear-lego, Pedro Silva writes:

I consider that modern european civilization has a lot to thank the arabs,
who kept civilization during the dark ages. They were beaten off the Iberian
Peninsula because they did not want to fight, and instead they devoted to
science and the arts. On the other hand, my ascendants wanted to wipe'em out
the face of the Earth just because they had the "wrong" religion - and drive
the blokes out of Europe in the process. But I cannot claim that those who
gave me a language and culture were the bad guys... so I like the idea of
not clearly choosing a side.

Um did you forget the Arabs came to the Iberian peninsula via war and rape?
Talk about one-sided historical revisionism.

  If you're trolling, you just caught a live one.

  <sarcasm>

  Talk about value-laden throwaway lines!  Yes, through rape,
  the Muslim armies of Tarikh ibn Zayid conquered the mighty
  and highly moral Visigothic kingdoms in Iberia, which were
  just paragons of high and holy virtues (just don't look
  over there at that noisy pogrom or the other).  And it was
  only by brutality that they stayed in power for 780+ years
  (over *six times longer* than the reign of the Visigoths they
  displaced, and longer than the Western Roman Empire existed,
  period).  That whole peace and scholarship thing is a sham,
  because the Arabs got there through war!

  </sarcasm>

  What exactly is Pedro's line a revision *of*?  Ever since
  Watt's history in 1967, if not before, that's been the accepted
  scholarly view on Islamic Spain by people who know a heck of a
  lot more about it than most everyone else and have spent
  their lives in the archives and documents.  Cordova and
  Gran Granada were a good lot better administratively, in terms of
  religious tolerance, educationally, and even economically than
  anywhere in Europe until the the fifteenth century, when, as
  "war and rape" would have it, they were ejected by the "new"
  Iberians in one of the bloodiest campaigns ever waged on the
  peninsula. Read your history books about just what happened to
  groups like the Jews, who had been protected under the Muslims
  (though not granted equal status), once the Reconquista was
  complete.  And, of course, never mind the fate of Muslims who
  fell into Christian hands.  NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition,
  which was first created in 1478 with the blessing of Pope Sixtus V
  for the express purpose of "cleansing" Iberia of those pesky
  unbelievers.

  And how on Earth is Pedro's view one-sided?  How could *anything*
  be more one-sided than an essentialized image of vicious Arab
  thugs and virtuous, moral, peaceful Visigoths (hang on, let me
  finish laughing)?  It sounds like you're reading the past with the
  values of the present, which is plausible for 1900 AD but not
  even *slightly* so for 711 AD.  It might not even be so for 1492.

  One-sided historical revisionism indeed.

  best

  LFB

  Posted to-> .off-topic.debate, where this belongs.

Quite right. It is always nice to listen to the experts, even more when I
like the subject (History + Geography).
Ever been to Portugal, Lindsay? We also have some examples of Islamic Art,
not as imposing as the Alhambra or Medina-al-zahara, but cool as well.

Pedro