 Off-Topic / Debate / 12392
Re: Military Lego Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 07:22:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Victor Knight writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.dear-lego, Victor Knight writes:
In lugnet.dear-lego, Pedro Silva writes:

I consider that modern european civilization has a lot to thank the arabs,
who kept civilization during the dark ages. They were beaten off the Iberian
Peninsula because they did not want to fight, and instead they devoted to
science and the arts. On the other hand, my ascendants wanted to wipe'em out
the face of the Earth just because they had the "wrong" religion - and drive
the blokes out of Europe in the process. But I cannot claim that those who
gave me a language and culture were the bad guys... so I like the idea of
not clearly choosing a side.

Um did you forget the Arabs came to the Iberian peninsula via war and rape?
Talk about one-sided historical revisionism.

  If you're trolling, you just caught a live one.

  <sarcasm>

<junk snipped>

You can feel sorry for a group that invaded and then was tossed out if you
want, but try not to be so biased and sorrowful in your description.

   By "a group that invaded and then was tossed out," I presume
   you're referring to the Muslims and not the Visigoths?  I was
   trying, in my response, to point out through tit-for-tat that
   you've made a ridiculous generalization--as though the Arab
   period was an "interruption" of some true, pure, original Spain,
   or that the method by which the Arabs came to Iberia were somehow
   unusual for their time.  That's just not true, any more than
   those awful Normans coming to England (by military invasion,
   1066) or their Dane forebears (invaded c.9th/10th C) somehow
   invalidates their vital contributions to everything that came
   after (which includes the entire English-speaking world).
   I merely took the pendulum the *other* way to show you all of
   the circumstances that support Pedro's reading of it as a
   grey area.  *EVERY* state, army, society, et cetera acted
   that way in those years--you might as well argue against
   having a Castle theme at all.

   Seeing as how you had no response to any of the concrete points
   I made, however, I'll consider my case adequately proven.  By
   the way, it's not "sorrowful" and "biased" if the extant evidence
   supports it.

   LFB