 Off-Topic / Debate / 12400
Re: Military Lego Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 05:11:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Alan Findlay writes:

Since you are knocking down a straw man of your own creation, it's no wonder
that you come out best in this exchange. Victor made NO value judgment on
the vices or virtues of any of the combatants on the Iberian peninsula. He
simply reminded us that the Arabs were there as colonizers, having arrived
through armed force. That the colonized would not appreciate the incursion
and would fight back should not surprize us -- the pattern has been followed
the world over (ie Moguls in India, Ottomans in Hungary, Europeans just
about everywhere).

   This isn't a straw man--reading the context and understanding
   the implications of the charges made, he's faulting Pedro
   for not invalidating Muslim Spain's relatively peaceful
   and prosperous existence during even the late stages of the
   Reconquista by citing its imposition by arms in 711 AD (350-750
   years earlier).  He's also saying this as though the Muslim
   invasion is somehow doing some violence that the Visigoths
   didn't do in the 590s--that the Visigoths were legitimate but
   the Arabs not.  That's the firm implication by calling it
   "historical revisionism," and his further (extremely brief)
   comments only seem to bear that reading out.  I agree with
   you 100% that there's no functional difference--read my other
   comments.

   I happily apologize if Victor really *meant* to say what you're
   saying, Alan, but it just didn't come across that way at all.
   If it had, I would be saying "hear hear!" instead of "look here!".

   best

   LFB