 Off-Topic / Debate / 12277
Re: Cuba
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 21:46:50 GMT

I reposted here since this is the best thread for this topic:

US embargoes, while bogus on their very face, and not something I
support in the general case, are not a sufficient excuse for Communism's
failure in Cuba in and of themselves.

Perhaps it would help if you'd expalin what constitutes "failure" in your
opinion? Cuba has several strong points:

* National health care
* Higher literacy rate than America
* Lower national unemployment rate (only 6%) than America
* Lower crime rate than America

So far, I've looked at it from an economic position and I would agree that
Cuba's economy is in poor condition. But why blame the form of government?
Isn't it pretty obvious that the sanctions are a REASON, not "excuse," that
Cuba is not a properous nation? How can any nation as small as Cuba thrive
in the global market if they are not allowed to do business without
restrictive sanctions imposed by a superpower like America?

If you really think about it, Cuba is a small enough country where Communism
COULD be very successful. I guess in order to have a favorable opinion of
"Communism," one must divorce it from the context of Marx, Lenin or Mao, and
the former U.S.S.R.

Dan