 Off-Topic / Debate / 12328
Re: Cuba
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 14:35:16 GMT

That makes capitalism moral and communism immoral. That's a good enough
argument right there.

Excuse me?  How does what you have stated above the last line make one moral
and one immoral?

Unless it is moral to dispose of people and all their property however a
central committee sees fit, one is moral and the other isn't.

But it isn't clear at the extremities whether your implication of morality is
correct.  For instance, during the recent discusion of the handling of Ender >by
the powers that be, you acknowledged that they were not clearly evil because >of
the gravity of the situation.  So even you agree that in _some_ cases the
morality of self-disposition breaks down as an absolute.  I certainly agree.
But how, if we're going to believe in a system with exceptions, do we >determine where the exceptions lie?

OK. Fair enough. If a system fails to live by its principles in extremis and
acts in immoral ways, then it isn't perfect. But we can still quite easily
judge it to be morally far superior to a system that systematically acts
immorally. Friedman addresses this when he shreds the standard Libertarian
morals/rights based justification by showing that it fails at the
boundaries. But the conclusion he comes to is that while it may not be
perfectly moral it nevertheless is superior to perfectly immoral systems,
such as the system under examination.

Let me restate, unless you believe slavery and theft are OK, no matter how
trifling the justification for them, communism is immoral. So is any mixed
economy, actually, but less so.

Slavery and theft indeed. How objective you are. Materialism in western
society is the current norm. You should not feel that anything else is
"immoral". It must be asked why the US victimises this country due to what
you call "immoral" politics/economics, but is eager trade with others (China
& Vietnam) and defends one of the most brutal murderous of countries:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/middle_east/newsid_1258000/1258187.stm

Any answers?

I have one : $

Scott A