 Off-Topic / Debate / 12290
Re: Cuba
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 13:04:42 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
Addendum to my previous post:

After comparing other sources on unemployment rates in America and Cuba, I
see my figures are way off. America's unemployment rate is about 4.5%, NOT
8.6%, but Cuba's is still about 6%. I apologize for my error. Cuba DOES NOT
have a lower unemployment rate than America. But I guess 6% isn't too shabby :)

   But to have a fair comparison, one must compare quality of work
   as well as employment.  I'd bet that the median (not mean, median)
   worker in Cuba has a much better lot than the median worker in the
   United States, even if they don't make as much in absolute terms.
   The difference comes about because Cuba's service sector isn't nearly
   as important overall as it is here, and the "plum jobs" of Cuba's
   workforce don't have nearly the obscene salaries they do here.

   best

   LFB