 Off-Topic / Debate / 12336
Re: Cuba
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:05:17 GMT

Communism is based on the premise that some central mechanism can determine
the right quantities of everything for everyone, obviating the need for
individual choices. It's based on the premise that people should work hard
and not get the fruits of their labors, but rather suffer the consequences
of the central mechanism's mistakes.

Capitalism is based on the premise that no central mechanism can do as well
at determining the right quantities as well as individual choice. It's based
on the premise that people should work hard or not, as they choose, and
suffer the consequences individually.

That makes capitalism moral and communism immoral. That's a good enough
argument right there.

Huge clarification to inflict on you-- it makes evidenced communism immoral
and evidenced capitalism moral (by utilitarian standards). To judge any
system using utilitarian morality, one needs evidence of the
happiness/unhappiness of the subjects in question. Making flat
generalizations presumes fundamental judgements about what makes people
happy that utilitarianism does not make nor wishes to (that I know of!).
Hence, one can theorize that communism is immoral for humans (but even then
it's only a theory), and one could only "prove" (via utilitaristic
principles) that *certain* systems at given times were moral or immoral. The
argument stands (from the utilitarian standpoint) that communism may indeed
be moral for a given set of people, and capitalism may be similarly immoral.

Even then, one could also argue (given your above statements) that a
"perfect" central body could make "perfect" decisions, making its members
universally happy, again resulting in a moral system, without altering the
populus. Either way, I don't think utilitarianism makes a moral judgement on
either government structure in the abscence of data on the society's
members' happiness under such a system.

DaveE