 Off-Topic / Debate / 12282
Re: Cuba
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 04:07:22 GMT

in order to have a favorable opinion of
"Communism," one must divorce it from the context of Marx, Lenin or Mao, and
the former U.S.S.R.

And from reality, apparently.

If every time a real example is pointed out, the apologists say "well that
one wasn't really Ccommunism" or "well, this one can't work because of
outside agency X interfering" it isn't much of a system, is it? A robust
system needs to work even when things aren't ideal.

Communism will only work in a utopia, and even then only under fallacious
assumptions. There are no utopias, in case you hadn't noticed.

I'll add in here, that Libertopia is just as much of a separation from reality
as a true communist nation.  (hmm...and me in my Sun, Sea and Socalism t-shirt)
:)

I think that you need to see where the rest of the world is now in relation to
where it was in 1850 or even 1900 to compare how communist we are as societies
(at least, outside of the US).  It takes work to starve yourself to death in
any of the major western nations...and 1857 isn't that long ago (Potato
Famine).

Do I think that Communism is the ideal political system? No, but I do think it
is a far sight better for the majority than capitalism.  I can quote some
statistics, here from BC- 50% of the wealth is in 5% of the peoples hands.  I'd
rather see some of that wealth redistributed myself...It isn't as bad as it has
been, but it isn't as good as it has been for the majority of people.

Do people deserve to be rewarded for hard work?  Yes, I think so.  I think that
an appropriate figure for the above is something more like 20-25% of the wealth
being concentrated in the top 5% of the population though, rather than 50%.

(mind you, I do believe we have had this discussion before...)

No Parisian!

James Powell