 Off-Topic / Debate / 12292
Re: Cuba
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 13:10:48 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Powell writes:
Communism will only work in a utopia, and even then only under fallacious
assumptions. There are no utopias, in case you hadn't noticed.

I'll add in here, that Libertopia is just as much of a separation from reality
as a true communist nation.  (hmm...and me in my Sun, Sea and Socalism t-shirt)
:)

   Wait, Sun Yat-Sen wasn't a communist!  :)

I think that you need to see where the rest of the world is now in relation to
where it was in 1850 or even 1900 to compare how communist we are as societies
(at least, outside of the US).  It takes work to starve yourself to death in
any of the major western nations...and 1857 isn't that long ago (Potato
Famine).

   Oops! The Potato Famine is a case of imperial exploitation, not
   a failure of capitalism.  It's also 1840s to about 1852, not 1857.  :)

Do I think that Communism is the ideal political system? No, but I do think it
is a far sight better for the majority than capitalism.  I can quote some
statistics, here from BC- 50% of the wealth is in 5% of the peoples hands.  I'd
rather see some of that wealth redistributed myself...It isn't as bad as it has
been, but it isn't as good as it has been for the majority of people.

   The question is what the basis for redistribution must be.
   The pay has to come from work--simple redistribution spoils the
   system by creating a new inequality and injustice on top of the
   old.  Some of that insane wealth was actually earned by those
   who play by the rules--despite what Marx et al would say.

Do people deserve to be rewarded for hard work?  Yes, I think so.  I think that
an appropriate figure for the above is something more like 20-25% of the wealth
being concentrated in the top 5% of the population though, rather than 50%.

(mind you, I do believe we have had this discussion before...)

   What was it, the top 10% in the US controls some 85% of the wealth?
   If you go to 10%, you catch a really large percentage of the wealth.
   It's striking.

No Parisian!

   The store?

   LFB