 Off-Topic / Debate / 12378
Re: Cuba
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 08:46:36 GMT

Let me restate, unless you believe slavery and theft are OK, no matter how
trifling the justification for them, communism is immoral. So is any mixed
economy, actually, but less so.

Slavery and theft indeed.

I know that we've been around this bend in the river before, but what exactly
are your objections to those terms?

I assume, after reading you text below, this is a rhetorical question?

Checking the dictionary and massaging the
concepts just a little (really just a tiny little bit) (actually, not much at
all) they sound good to me.  The only problem is that their use is poisoning
the well.  They are not the terms used when one wants to actually discuss the
notions.  They are the terms best used in fits of macho flash.  Either Larry
doesn't really want to get into this one yet again, or he was macho flashing
because it felt like everyone was needling him about tiny little details of his
wording, rather than reading for comprehension.  I'd buy either excuse,
personally.

How objective you are.

Pot, kettle, black.

I try my best Chris.

Materialism in western
society is the current norm. You should not feel that anything else is
"immoral".

Why?

Because is is a argumant which has no logic.

It must be asked why the US victimises this country due to what
you call "immoral" politics/economics, but is eager trade with others (China

If I had someone to ask that, I would.  I can't personally figure it out.  I
wrote to my Senators when China was up for PNTR urging away from it.  Oh well.
But I'd also like to ask how you think the US is victimizing Cuba.  It seems
to me that we've taken on unprecidented responsibility in helping the Cuban
people who can get out.

By helping force them to leave?

& Vietnam) and defends one of the most brutal murderous of countries:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/middle_east/newsid_1258000/1258187.stm

Any answers?

I have one : $

Agreed.  And it's disgusting.

You can't get me in a tizzy by slamming the US.  I just like you to be right.

I am not "slamming" (or at least I do not mean to) the US. I am only
slamming the lobby groups who dictate the agenda in this area.

Scott A

Chris