 Off-Topic / Debate / 12298
Re: Cuba
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 20:00:24 GMT

One topic I haven't seen mentioned here is that even with all the sanctions, Cuba
still relies heavily upon the US for cash influx.  Most of it is through
Cuban-Americans sending money back to relatives in Cuba.  If that process were
denied, then the embargo would truly cripple the Cuban economy.

Personally, I think the embargo should end.  Castro's power would end soon after,
as he relies upon the embargo to point all of the problems outside of his
control.  Once the embargo ended, most of his excuses would evaporate, and people
would most likely quickly oust him when the economic situation didn't change
quickly enough.

Free trade with Cuba would end Communism there faster than any other process,
IMO.

Dave Schuler wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
Larry, I'm not back-pedaling on any of my statements or trying to water them
down. The sanctions have a PROFOUND effect on Cuba's economy. By imposing
sanctions, America is not ALLOWING Communism to work in the country.

  I would revise that statement to say "The existence of US sanctions
against Cuba prevents us from determining with certainty whether Cuban
Communism would fail or succeed in the absence of those sanctions."
  Declaring that sanctions in themselves prevent the country from
functioning (since, after all, Cuba has trade with other nations, doesn't
it?) seems to ascribe too much importance to the influence of an outside
power. Yes, the US represents huge dollar power, and yes, the absence of US
dollars in the Cuban economy can be expected to have an effect, but is it
reasonable to expect a Communist system to be supported by a Capitalist
system, all the while still calling it Communist?

     Dave!