 Marketplace / Theory / 2663
Re: Fed UP!!!!!!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 04:34:30 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, David Laswell wrote:

There are a lot of factors that should be considered there, though.  Even many
LUGNET users weren't sure which bulk packs were the old colors and which were
the new, and it was really only publicized here on LUGNET, so it's unlikely that
any closet AFOLs were even aware that they'd been produced at all, much less
which ones they should be buying, and it's possible that many people skipped
them because it's cheaper to buy the specific bricks they need on Bricklink
rather than buy large quantities of bulk mixed packs in order to get the
individual pieces they actually need.

Those are all valid possibilities that are unknowns in any analysis. Still, I
think that with a few reasonable order of magnitude conjectures it's very
difficult to make a financial case that we (serious AFOLs) represent 5% of TLC
revenue. I'd certainly like to see some good evidence that refutes it. But as I
said before, regardless of quantitative importance of AFOLs, we do have some
stake in what the Lego company does and their actions over the past few years
support that idea.

Spencer