 Marketplace / Theory / 2659
Re: Fed UP!!!!!!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 02:36:02 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, J. Spencer Rezkalla wrote:

All the evidence I can find points to the fact that we are not nearly as
financially important to TLC as we want to think.

I also want to make a point that just because AFOLs are not a major portion of
Lego's customer base does that mean that Lego doesn't care about us as
customers. Again there is plenty of evidence to the contrary: ISD, Santa Fe,
bulk packs, etc. Lego is more than willing to help us out, but there has to be a
business case to do it. Now is that really unreasonable?

The big business case, it seems to me, is not our personal volume, but our
influence on others by our activities. To pick just one example...

How much is a 3 minute spot on a local morning newscast (in Detroit, say),
extolling the virtues of LEGO and exhorting people to come to a show to see it
in action, worth? I'd venture it's "worth" more than the total margin on sales
to all the AFOLs (overt or sleeper or whatever) in Michigan (say) for a week (or
even a month), in terms of building brand awareness.