 Color / 490
Re: Fed UP!!!!!!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 03:22:23 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.color, Justin Pratt wrote:
   In lugnet.color, Alfred Speredelozzi wrote:

   The problem is, I don’t think most people agree with you. This issue has touched a nerve in the community and it will continue to hurt until something real is done to fix it. People are still quite confused as to why this decision was made.

It’s part and parcel of the denial that AFOLs are but a passing afterthought to TLC. Some people can’t get over the fact that, in the scheme of all things related to Lego in the marketplace, they generally* don’t count in these kinds of decisions. Yes, lugnet and AFOLs are a community and all, but people need to stop thinking we’re going to get anything but token recognition out of TLC.

Lego may or may not care what we think. At their peril. And since I have already said my piece, I will add a quote of someone else’s to the fray. This was not written about lego:

===quote=== (from http://www.retailernews.com/898/phill898.html by Rick Phillips)

“Marshall Fields, the great Chicago retailer once said: ‘Those who buy, support me. Those who come to flatter, please me. Those who complain teach me how I may please others so they will buy. The only ones who hurt me are those who are displeased but do not complain. They refuse me permission to correct my errors and thus improve my service.‘”

“Most managers view customer complaints as annoying headaches, and they avoid facing dissatisfied customers. Customer-service driven managers, however, welcomes complaints. They know that complaints represent an opportunity to excel and become even more profitable.”

“Dozens of studies conducted by government, universities, and industries have proved that a customer whose complaint has been resolved will create much more revenue than they ever cost. A satisfied customer will return to buy more, and he or she will refer more new customers than a customer who never gave a manager the opportunity to resolve his or her complaint. ”

“A study, by the Technical Assistance Research Programs Institute pinpoints three key findings regarding customer complaints:

--The average customer with an unresolved complaint will tell nine to ten people; 13% tell more than 20 people.

--Up to 70% of complainers will return to your business if their complaint is resolved. Up to 95% return if the problem is resolved quickly.

--For every one complaint received, the average company has 26 unhappy customers it never hears from; six of these customers have problems that are considered “serious” problems.”

“Lets examine that last point. The TARP study tells us that for every one customer who bothers to complain there are 26 who remain silent. If we are getting five complaints a week that means that there are as many as 130 dissatisfied “former customers” out there with unresolved problems.”

===end quote===

   (* ‘generally’ meaning that although, yes, they buy sets and sometimes an awful lot for individual AFOLs, they still don’t measure up to the vast bulk of Lego-buying non-AFOL parents of whom are the focus of any studies done by TLC)

TLC is a marketing entity, selling their brand. They’re getting squeezed all the time by chinese knock-offs, cheaper brands and other toys moving in on their space (GI Joe vehicles with studs for ‘other compatible toys’), so the brand has to change to compete. I assume the new parts are to thwart copycat brands, using patent or copyright laws with new bricks to differentiate them from brand X.

That’s the facts and they suck, but that’s life.

They suck worse for Lego if they think that we do not matter. While I can accept that AFOLs represent 5% of the market (having been mentioned here and elsewhere as the rough number) I think they represent quite a bit more when you are talking about their brand equity. AFOLs are out there pushing the brand, doing all the cool things that Lego says you can do with thier toys.

Now, I am not saying that Lego should act on every little whining thing that some AFOL or group of AFOLs says. However, this color change really isn’t in that category. Its big. It affects nearly all AFOLs negatively. (Anyone have any positive reaction to the color change?) In this case, they should consider our complaints. What should they do about it? I don’t think they have to “change back” to solve it, however, I still don’t think anyone but Jake has tried to solve it.

Yep, once again, Jake is nice. Not the enemy. I keep saying it, and I’m not alone, and yet the anti-color movement still is labeled as anti-Jake. In fact, I can only remember one anti-Jake post, and it was so rude, it was pretty well shot down by everyone. The problem is, Jake’s role seems to be more of a conduit when it comes to this issue. I don’t see how he has the power to fix it, really, or even to realistically suggest the solution. Maybe he does, and I don’t know (certainly possible, since I don’t work there!) Someone higher in the Lego heirarchy needs to take notice, and do some fixing.

So why are we complaining here? In Lugnet, where it essentially does no good? Because we feel comfortable complaining here. Its what you do with your friends. Granted we are not all friends here, but many of us are, or at least feel that comfort level when it comes to Lego topics. I am sorry for the people who have to read rants in .general, since we have the nice .color place to complain, but that still doesn’t make us wrong. That still doesn’t make our voices insignificant.

Here is another little tid bit I found in looking up customer complaints on the web:

===quote=== (from http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/usability/library/us-cranky11.html by Peter Seebach)

“Once upon a time, I wanted to buy a game. So, I went to the Web site for the company that sold this game, I browsed their online store, I found something I wanted, and I clicked the “Add to cart” button.”

“Nothing happened.”

“I tried again. I poked around. It turned out that the page used JavaScript, and you could not add an item to a cart without it. I wrote the webmaster to complain. His response was:

‘As this is the only such comment in 2 years of the e-store, and 6 years of the Web site, I feel safe in assuming that your opinion is not widely held.’ This is a pretty rude response. It’s also an outright lie. I frequent a newsgroup related to the products sold in that particular store, and the unusability of the Web site is a regular topic of discussion. I may have been the only person to bother to write them and complain...but I somehow doubt it, since my mother reported a similar problem when she tried to order a game, and spent quite some time asking the store’s support staff to help her. She eventually gave up; the online store couldn’t be made to work with her computer.”

===end quote===

The problem is that you, Justin, are falling into a belief that plagues business these days. They think some of their customers don’t matter. You think it is something that I have to get over (no, I didn’t really take it as a personal attack, so no hard feelings), but I think it is the other way around. It is something Lego has to get over if they are going to survive.

-Alfred