 Color / 489
Re: Fed UP!!!!!!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 17:39:46 GMT

In lugnet.color, Alfred Speredelozzi wrote:

   The problem is, I don’t think most people agree with you. This issue has touched a nerve in the community and it will continue to hurt until something real is done to fix it. People are still quite confused as to why this decision was made.

It’s part and parcel of the denial that AFOLs are but a passing afterthought to TLC. Some people can’t get over the fact that, in the scheme of all things related to Lego in the marketplace, they generally* don’t count in these kinds of decisions. Yes, lugnet and AFOLs are a community and all, but people need to stop thinking we’re going to get anything but token recognition out of TLC.

(* ‘generally’ meaning that although, yes, they buy sets and sometimes an awful lot for individual AFOLs, they still don’t measure up to the vast bulk of Lego-buying non-AFOL parents of whom are the focus of any studies done by TLC)

TLC is a marketing entity, selling their brand. They’re getting squeezed all the time by chinese knock-offs, cheaper brands and other toys moving in on their space (GI Joe vehicles with studs for ‘other compatible toys’), so the brand has to change to compete. I assume the new parts are to thwart copycat brands, using patent or copyright laws with new bricks to differentiate them from brand X.

That’s the facts and they suck, but that’s life.